Summer means sunshine and good times outdoors! Embellish a straw hat with a ribbon made from fabric and top off the ribbon with faux flowers for a fun look! This project features the Brother narrow rolled hem foot as the foot of the month. Use this foot to make a neat narrow hem on the fabric and then add flowers and buttons using the button fitting foot. Wear your new hat to the beach, summer gatherings, or in your own backyard!
Materials and Supplies
- Brother Sewing machine
- SA126 or SA127 Brother Narrow Hem foot
- Basic sewing notions including thread to match fabric
- Faux flowers for trim
- Buttons to decorate center of flowers
- Sharp, fine machine needle for sewing
- Pre-purchased hat to decorate
- 1 ½-inch wide strip of lightweight cotton fabric, cut to length determined in Step #1.
- Tape measure for measuring hat and determining length of fabric strip
- Rotary cutter, ruler and mat for accurate cutting of strip
Instructions for Embellishing Hat
- Wrap and tie tape measure around hat to determine approximate length. See Figure #1a.
- Add a few extra inches to your measurement for length and cut the 1 1/2-inch wide strip using rotary cutter.
- Gather supplies for embellishing the hat. This project features three sets of flowers stacked with three different colors. You can add more flowers and buttons as you wish. See Figure #1b.
- Pre-press the first two inches of your hem by finger pressing or using an iron. See pinned hem in Figure #2.
- Place pre-folded hem under the foot having it directly under the needle. Sew two to three stitches and stop with needle down. See Figure #3.
- Now, carefully lift the folded hem up into the spiral scroll on the foot. See Figure #4.
- Tie the strip around your hat to determine final length. Trim to size and lightly press strip. Change to standard foot.
- To finish each end, begin by folding strip in half with right sides together and then sew a 1/4-inch seam. See Figure #5.
- Open up the ends and shape to form points. Stitch across each point to anchor ends in place. See Figure #6.
- Decide where you want to position the flowers and mark each spot temporarily by using a pin. Use a basting stitch to gather the strip at each location. See below:
- Change to button sewing foot and select button sewing stitch. Layer flowers with button in center, pin in place, and then stitch each set of flowers over gathering stitches. See Figure #7a and #7b.
Wrap and tie the strip to your hat. You are finished! Enjoy!