It’s summertime, and the living is easy! How about embroidering some freestanding flowers and attaching them to a pair of sandals for a fun, fresh look! Pair the Brother free design of the month with some colorful ribbon for a simple, quick accent. Be prepared! Your friends will be asking you where you got your pretty new sandals.
Materials and Supplies
- Brother embroidery machine with 4-inch hoop. The Innov-ís NS1750D was used for this project.
- Brother Embroidery Thread and bobbin thread.
- SA540 Brother Pacesetter light weight water soluble stabilizer. For each set of flowers cut two pieces of stabilizer to fit hoop.
- Brother Free Design of the Month.
- Embroidery needle for embroidering.
- Netting, (also known as bridal tulle) in desired color for flowers. For each set of flowers cut two pieces of netting to fit hoop.
- Coordinating grosgrain ribbon measuring 3/8-inch wide. Cut two pieces measuring 2-inches long for each flower accent.
- Fine, sharp, curved tip scissors for trimming flowers when finished.
- Glue for permanently attaching flowers to sandals.
- Clips or clothespins for securing flowers while glue dries.
- Seam sealant for treating cut ends of ribbon.
- Pre-purchased sandals with space for attaching flowers.
Brother Free Design of the Month
- 1.39” High X 1.33” Wide (35.2 mm High X 33.9 mm Wide)
Steps to Create Sandals Embellished with Embroidered Accents
- Set up machine for embroidery and transfer design to your machine. Determine the number of flowers you can fit on your sandals. In this example there are a total of six. Next, add designs to fill the hoop with multiple patterns, rotating and moving as necessary so they all fit without touching one another. See Figure #2.
- Hoop netting with one layer of water soluble on top and one on the bottom, sandwiching the two layers of netting between the stabilizer. Embroider flowers in desired thread color. See below:
- Use the sharp scissors to trim each flower close to stitching line, trimming away excess stabilizer and netting. Cut two pieces of ribbon measuring two inches long for each flower. Cut ends at a 45-degree angle, treat with seam sealant and let dry. See Figure #4.
- Wash stabilizer out of flowers, dry and press lightly with low temp iron. Create accents by pinning a flower in the center of each set of crisscrossed ribbons. See Figure #5.
- Set up machine for sewing using foot “N.” Select the decorative star stitch. Select option to sew just one pattern. See settings in Figure #6.
- Tack ribbons to flower by stitching a single star design in the center, removing pin before you stitch. Repeat for each flower. See Figure #7a and #7b.
- Carefully glue the center of each flower in position on your sandals, following manufacturer’s directions for glue and holding flowers in place with clips until they dry. See below:
You are finished! Enjoy wearing your beautiful sandals!