Kite flying, picnics, family reunion, and Labor Day celebrations are just a few of the occasions for which this cool and comfortable summer picnic dress can fill the bill. Construct your own white dress or purchase a “blank” with drawn thread work at the hemline. Embellishments include the embroidery, of course, but also contrasting topstitching. This can be done easily and accurately with the use of the camera on THE Dream Machine. Ribbon 1/8” wide was woven through the drawn thread work, adding color to the bottom of the white skirt. The white buttons on the back were replaced with red hearts.
- Garment: Purchased white embroidery blank dress with two rows of drawn thread work
- Or DIY Simplicity #1184, View E could be used. For the insertion of ribbon beading inserted at the hemline would render a similar look.
- Notions: Spray adhesive, *embroidery thread, *#90 needle and red 12 wt. thread for topstitching, monofilament for securing bows in place, *red and blue 1/8” ribbon to weave through drawn thread work or beading. Tapestry needle, bodkin or small brass safety pin for weaving ribbon.
- Equipment: THE Dream Machine or other Brother machine.
- Optional: Stitch in the Ditch Foot (SA191) or Edge Joining Foot (SA184)
- iBroidery Design: BIC-MTGSAS008
- Mark the center front of the bodice for design placement.
- Open the design in your machine and add a basting frame. Hoop tearaway stabilizer in the appropriate hoop. You will need to baste the dress bodice to the stabilizer.
- Apply spray adhesive to the stabilizer and center the marked bodice in place.
- Thread #90 needle with #12 or other heavy weight red thread. Insert bobbin wound with red thread. #50 wt. works well.
- Remove accessory box to access free arm. Attach Stitch in the Ditch foot.
- Engage camera feature. Move needle position to line up with previous stitching line at neckline. Reduce the machine speed and attach the knee lift. Use of these features will help you stitch precisely on top of the existing stitching.
- Topstitch around neckline and armscyes with red thread.
- Attach small brass safety pin to measured length of red ribbon equal to the circumference of the skirt + at least 12”. Weave over and under center thread of drawn thread work.
- Repeat with blue ribbon.
- Tie 2 bows, staggered at front a few inches from the side seam. After tying bow, stitch through knot with monofilament thread to hold bow knotted and in place. Try to catch a stitch or two in the fabric instead of the open sections of the drawn thread work.
- Replace utility white buttons with red buttons.
- Pull out the kites and head for the beach. She will be adorable.