If you’re looking for a crafty way to package a gift card, look no further than your embroidery machine! We used the Brother Free Design of the Month to make a gift card holder by adding a few bonus designs for you to download. Personalize the front pocket for a gift that is sure to leave a lasting impression.
Materials and Supplies
- Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine with 5-inch X 7-inch hoop capability.
- SA5929 Brother Heavyweight Cut-Away stabilizer.
- Low tack tape for securing pocket-piece in hoop.
- Temporary adhesive spray specifically for embroidery for securing fabric in the hoop.
- Embroidery needle and threads.
- Sharp, small scissors for trimming finished tag.
Fabric for Gift Tag:
- Two pieces of felt measuring 6 ½-inches square for Card Holder Main piece.
- One piece of felt measuring 4 ¾-inches wide X 2 ½-inches long for Card Holder Pocket piece.
Embroidery designs for creating gift tag:
- Brother Free Design of the Month: Three Gifts.pes
- Brother Free Bonus Design: Card Holder_A.pes
- Brother Free Bonus Design: Card Holder_B.pes
Steps to Create Gift Tag with Gift Card Pocket
- Transfer designs shown in Figure #1a to #1c to your machine:
- Free Design of the Month: Three Gifts.pes
- Bonus Design: Card Holder_A.pes
- Bonus Design: Card Holder_B.pes
Brother Free Design of the Month
- FD_Dec_2018_Three Gifts.pes
- 1.20” Wide X 1.10” High
- Assemble supplies for making first gift tag. See below:
Hoop cut-away stabilizer in the 5-inch X 7-inch hoop. It’s important to create the pocket first. Create a custom design as follows:
- Open Card Holder_A.pes. This design file is for the pocket on the front of the tag.
- Add the free design, Three Gifts.pes.
- Next, add lettering as desired and move designs around as needed to fit within the inner outline for the pocket. Note: This inner outline is shown in red.
- Complete the pocket as follows: Stitch the basting outline on the stabilizer. It’s shown in black but you can use any thread color for this. See Figure #3.
Select felt piece measuring 4 ¾-inches wide X 2 ½-inches long. Lightly spray wrong side and center piece over basting outline. See Figure #4.
Embroider your custom design using desired thread colors. See Figure #5.
Remove from hoop and press lightly if necessary. Cut out pocket by trimming close to basting stitches, leaving piece measuring 4 ¾-inches wide X 2 ½-inches long. Set aside temporarily. See Figure #6.
- Hoop a second piece of cut-away stabilizer in the 5-inch X 7-inch hoop. Spray wrong side of one 6 ½-inch square of felt and place in center of hoop. Stitch basting outline. Tips: This piece is cut slightly over-sized, so you don’t need to be perfectly centered. Streamline the stitching process by stitching basting outline using thread color selected for shape of tag. See Figure #7.
- Stop and carefully remove hoop from machine, keeping everything intact and taking care that you do not disturb fabric in the hoop.
- Turn hoop over and place on a flat surface. Spray wrong side of second 6 ½-inch square of felt and secure sticky side to stabilizer on back of hoop, centering piece and covering basting stitches. See Figure #8.
Make sure fabric is smooth and firmly adhered to back side of hoop. Return hoop to machine. Stitch segment forming the shape of the tag and then stop before the final segment, which anchors the pocket in place. See Figure #9.
Align embroidered pocket with outline along lower edge of shape, using the stitching as a guide for placement. Use a piece of tape measuring 3 ½-inches long to hold top edge of pocket in place temporarily. Stitch final segment to anchor pocket, taking care that the piece remains flat while stitching. See enhanced photo below, showing placement for pocket:
You are finished! Enjoy!