Add a little lace to a ready-made V-neck top and transform plain into pretty. All you need are a few simple supplies along with your Brother embroidery machine and our Free Design of the Month.
Materials and Supplies
- Brother sewing and embroidery machine with 5 X 7-inch hoop capability.
- Brother Embroidery Thread, Bobbin Thread, and size 11 embroidery needle for embroidering.
- Brother Free Design of the Month.
- SA540 Brother Water-Soluble fibrous stabilizer.
- SA145 Brother Clear View foot
- Plain V-Neck top
- Thin netting, known as tulle, 4 pieces measuring approximately 8-inches square for creating lace pieces. Note: You can match the netting to your top or match it to your thread color.
- Small sharp scissors for trimming lace pieces.
- 3.60” Wide X 5.34” High
Steps to Create Lace Trimmed Top
1. Gather your supplies. See Figure #1.
2. Transfer design to your machine. Tightly hoop two pieces of tulle layered with a sheet of water-soluble stabilizer on the bottom. See Figure #2.
3. Wind a bobbin for each color of embroidery thread you plan to use. Thread machine with first color in top and bobbin and embroider part one of the design. Change top and bobbin and embroider the second color. Your lace design will look pretty on both the right and wrong sides. See below:
4. Mirror image the design and repeat the previous steps to make a second piece of lace for the neckline. See Figure #3.
5. Carefully trim away excess netting and stabilizer to prepare for sewing onto top. See Figure #4a and Figure #4b.
6. Wash out stabilizer according to package instructions. Let dry and then press flat using a press cloth.
7. Pin lace to front of shirt.
8. Thread machine with thread that matches main color of lace. Secure lace to the top using a straight stitch set for a length of 2.0, stitching close to the satin stitches of the design so stitches blend in with the lace. See Figure #6a and Figure #6b.
Options and Ideas:
- Choose tulle to match your top, and then stitch using one color of thread to match tulle for a tone on tone effect.
- Consider adding beads or hot fix stones to dress up your top even more!
- Attach this lace to other items. For a start, think about home décor, crafts, and even accessories such as purses.
- Explore coordinating lace pieces found on iBroidery.com. You’ll find many lace designs that are made to link together for larger areas such as lapels and cuffs.