Create a keepsake case for trinkets, treasures, jewelry, and more! The top of the case is embroidered with an heirloom design sized exactly right for this custom-made case. This small case makes a pretty storage container and it’s a great gift idea too!
Materials and Supplies:
- Brother Embroidery Thread, Brother Bobbin Thread, and size 11 embroidery needle for embroidering.
- SA147 Brother clear open toe foot.
- Basic sewing notions including thread to match or blend with fabrics, and a size 14 sharp needle for sewing. A stiletto is helpful for stitching seams.
- Brother Free Design of the Month. Please see Figure #1 at the end of this supply list.
- Compass or another tool to draw a precise 5 1/2-inch circle.
- One piece of grosgrain ribbon measuring 5/8-inch X 3-inches long for ribbon tab, and one piece of grosgrain ribbon measuring 1/8-inch X 5-inches long for attaching to zipper pull tab.
- Make-A-Zipper kit to create a zipper measuring 16-inches long, or one 18-inch polyester zipper.
Quilt weight cotton fabric for case:
Fabric #1 Print fabric:
- Cut two strips measuring 4-inches wide X 15 ¼-inches long for creating side of case.
- Cut two pieces measuring 6-inches square for lining inside of case.
Fabric #2 Solid white fabric:
- Cut one oversized piece measuring 8-inches square for embroidered top circle.
- Cut one oversized piece measuring 10-inches wide X 12-inches long for bottom circle quilted in 6-inch hoop with My Design Center motif. Note: If you choose to quilt the fabric using an alternative method you can cut this bottom piece to equal approximately 6-inches square.
Finished size of Round Keepsake Case:
- Diameter 4 ½-inches wide X 3-inches high.
Steps to Create Case
- Set up machine for embroidery and transfer Free Design. Hoop 8-inch fabric square in 4-inch hoop. Embroider heirloom circle. See Figure #2. Remove from hoop and set aside temporarily.
- Select the piece prepared for bottom circle and quilt using one of the options below:
- Quilt fabric and batting together using the 6-inch square hoop and a motif created using My Design Center fill patterns. See examples in Figure #3a and #3b.
- Quilt fabric and batting together using desired stitches on the sewing side of the machine or simply leave the fabric plain.
- Press top and bottom pieces so they are flat and smooth. Create a pattern using the compass or similar tool to draw a precise 5 ½-inch circle on a piece of paper. Use this paper pattern to cut top and bottom circles, along with matching circles for lining. Gather supplies to prepare for constructing the case. See below:
- Prepare side piece for added zipper as follows:
- Fold and press each 4-inch wide X 15 ¼-inch long piece in half, with wrong sides facing and long edges matching. Set up machine for sewing. Use zipper kit to make a zipper slightly longer than strips, or center standard zipper along strips, having both stoppers extend beyond short ends.
- Use a zipper foot to sew zipper to each folded edge. When using a zipper kit, make the zipper slightly longer than the strips and trim excess after stitching. Tip: With the zipper making kit there are no stoppers to keep the zipper from being zipped off either end. Take care that the zipper tab is not pulled off the zipper before the next step of making bar tacks is finished.
- Once zipper is sewn, open the zipper part way and create a bar tack ¾-inch from each short end.
- Fold the 5/8-inch ribbon piece in half and pin to center of short end, covering the zipper tab. Open zipper half way. With right sides together, match short ends of strip and sew ½-inch seams, creating a circular piece for the side of the case, taking care that zipper teeth are pushed together at the open end. See Figure #5.
- Your case is almost finished. Prepare to sew top circle to one edge of the strip and bottom circle to opposite edge. It’s important that each seam is sewn using an accurate ½-inch seam allowance. You may find it helpful to mark seam lines with a removeable marker so you can match them as you sew. See Figure #6.
You are finished! Enjoy!
Options and Ideas:
- With the Make-A-Zipper kit you can choose to make a zipper with two pull tabs facing in the center of the side piece. With this method you can open the case from the center outward.
- Create a case with a monogram or another favorite motif in place of the top design.
- Consider using bias binding to clean finish all inside raw edges in place of overcasting.
- These round cases would be ideal gifts for a bridal party, especially if you added a name or monogram to the case.
- Choose an appropriate fabric and you can make this case to hold a men’s watch.