Now and then I always love to make a fun project for my dog, Blue! We love dressing him up in different costumes throughout the year (even if he hates it!). I thought that this DIY holly-themed collar would be a fun minimal dog costume that he wouldn’t hate us as much! Not to mention it’s a cute way to add some more festivity to those family photos that we’ll be sending out for Christmas!
- Brother Sewing Machine
- Red and green felt
- Red and green thread
- Hand sewing needle
- Fabric glue
- Red bells
- Snap button
- Sewing pins
1. Measure collar material for the width of your pet’s neck and cut out two rectangle pieces of red fabric.
2. Cut out four identical pieces of green holly leaf.
3. Sew two of the holly leaves together up the center of the leaf using green thread. Repeat with the remaining two leaves.
4. Pin your collar together and starting in the center, sew around the edges. Leave a three inch gap so you can turn the fabric inside out so the stitching is on the inside.
5. Pin the remaining area and top stitch together using red thread.
6. Take the fabric glue and place the holly leaves where desired.
7. Once the glue is dry, hand sew the bells at the bottom of the holly leaves.
8. Finally, hand sew the snap buttons behind the holly leaves on one side of the collar and on the front of the other side so they can snap together easily.